Some quick facts and figures about women’s health
- Every day in Australia almost seven women die of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australian women.
- 1 in 11 will develop breast cancer before age 75.
- Women have a 1 in 4 chance of being diagnosed with malignant cancer in the first 75 years of life
- For a 40 year old woman, the risk of having coronary heart disease at some time in their future is 1 in 3.
- Coronary heart disease kills almost 5 times as many Australian women as breast cancer.
- 1 in 6 women suffers from depression at some time in their life.
- 1 in 5 women aged 45 risk having a stroke before age 85.
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research 1997 – Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006 – The Victorian Government’s Better Health Channel, 2004